Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: about:spam  (Read 419 times)

AyrA

• BM-Bc7Rspa4zxAPy9PK26vmcyoovftipStp
  • Global Moderator
  • bitmessage.ch and timeservice operator
    • View Profile
    • AyrAs Homepage
about:spam
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
Accounts

Because of the massive abuse of this forum lately, I did a few things:

First of all, I removed like 20 spam posts and the associated accounts across all forums.
I then went over the User List (7000+ entries) and removed users according to these conditions:

- Removed Accounts older than 2018-01-01 without a single post.
- Removed accounts older than 24 hours with a website but no posts.

Result: We now have only 727 users on this forum.
About 90% of all accounts were never used or exclusively created for advertising bogus websites.

If your account was accidentally removed, you can create it again.
Be sure to make at least one valid post (topic or reply)

Spam Prevention

Whoever manages this forum (is Atheros still here?) please implement a somewhat working anti-spam mechanic.
Whatever is in place doesn't seems good enough anymore after 5 years.

This post will be removed after 3018-03-31
My Address: BM-Bc7Rspa4zxAPy9PK26vmcyoovftipStp
Bitmessage Time Service (Subscribe): BM-BcbRqcFFSQUUmXFKsPJgVQPSiFA3Xash
Support the Multipart Message Declaration Draft for Bitmessage: https://bitmessage.org/forum/index.php/topic,1553.0.html
Free Bitmessage to E-Mail Gateway: https://bitmessage.ch

Convertor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: about:spam
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »
"Whoever manages this forum (is Atheros still here?) please implement a somewhat working anti-spam mechanic.
Whatever is in place doesn't seems good enough anymore after 5 years."

I agree, and not sure who runs a forum anymore.

Peter Šurda

• View Profile
Re: about:spam
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
Noone is currently managing the forum. I would like to scrap the forum, and redirect people to reddit instead, as there are no resources for managing it. I did prepare a new server for this, just the migration requires a couple of hours as some stuff has to be edited manually due to SMF upgrade. I haven't done it as there is still work to be done, like the email server has to be setup (it shouldn't send emails from its own IP as the server is behind cloudflare). However I don't have time to manage it. Maybe if there is interest I could pay some part-time sysadmin to take care of it. I also would still need Atheros' cooperation as I don't have admin access to the forum (he just provided me archives/dumps for the migration test).

Maarten

• View Profile
Reddit
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »
Good work, and my account survived :-)

About moving to Reddit, this would probably shut me out, as you need an account to post there and probably they block Tor. (I managed to keep everything Torrified/bogus IP's here, but on Reddit this will probably fail.)
IF you would do this, could you then specifically ask them to allow this? (I think Cloudflare was pressurised to put Tor-IPs in a separate "country" so websites could allow them trough instead of unleashing captcha-hell on them, so maybe Reddit... just a friendly tip.)

I'll have some reading-up to do about the latest BM-developments, but I have a theory on how to get Bitmessage connected to a smartphone and this spurred again my intrest here. No bitmessage-related results so far, but I already have some questions which I'll post in more appropriate places here.