Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bitseal - a Bitmessage client for Android  (Read 52686 times)

Convertor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bitseal - a Bitmessage client for Android
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2015, 06:44:54 AM »
You can read the white paper here: https://bitmessage.org/bitmessage.pdf

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
Bitseal 0.5.2 is now available.

Changes:
- Added ability to view Bitseal's log output and any recent errors. This should be very helpful for diagnosing any problems found by Beta testers.
- Implemented CommonsWare CWAC WakefulIntentService to allow more consistent downloading of new messages.
- Fixed several bugs. See https://github.com/jonathancoe/bitseal for details.

Known Issues:
- Scrolling in the Inbox and Sent lists is still slow while catching up with the network.
- Bitseal still uses a lot of bandwidth! Keep an eye on this while testing.

Beta testers who have joined the Google+ testing group should get the update automatically.

Other testers can either download a pre-compiled APK file or compile the app from the Github repository.

Many thanks to all the testers for their feedback so far! Particular thanks also to everyone who has donated to support Bitseal's development.

Anyone who would like to make a donation can use the Bitcoin address 1ALTrxJ3Yn3Rc85Uf467u3ZcpHCzx4jDAT.
My address: BM-NBdhY8vpWJVL2YocA2Gfjf7eVoZAgbEs

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »
Bitseal 0.5.3 is now available.

Changes:
- Improved handling of background tasks.
- Simplified the proof of work code.
- Cleaned up the 'view log' and 'view errors' code.
- Fixed several bugs. See the github commit log for details.

Known Issues:
- Scrolling in the Inbox and Sent lists is still slow while catching up with the network.
- Bitseal still uses a lot of bandwidth! Keep an eye on this while testing.

Beta testers who have joined the Google+ testing group should get the update automatically.

Other testers can either download a pre-compiled APK file or compile the app from the Github repository.

Many thanks to all the testers for their feedback so far! Particular thanks also to everyone who has donated to support Bitseal's development.

Anyone who would like to make a donation can use the Bitcoin address 1ALTrxJ3Yn3Rc85Uf467u3ZcpHCzx4jDAT.

HostFat

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:09 PM »
Can you add an on/off option to make it working only with wifi connection?

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »
Can you add an on/off option to make it working only with wifi connection?

Yes, a couple of people have requested that. It makes sense, as Bitseal still uses a lot of bandwidth. It should be implemented in the next release. Thanks for your feedback :)

chek2fire

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »
I have problems with bitseal. He dry out all of my battery in my android phone in few hours. I see in the android settings that it was from bitseal the usage of battery. I had to remove the app.
My version was the developer version/
I like to ask and what is the difference from that version with the bitseal version from andrea lepidio that is in play store

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »
I have problems with bitseal. He dry out all of my battery in my android phone in few hours. I see in the android settings that it was from bitseal the usage of battery. I had to remove the app.

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear that. It's definitely true that Bitseal uses a lot of battery power at the moment. Unfortunately it's difficult to avoid this, as the app has to constantly download all new messages from the network to check for any that are addressed to it. Proof of work for disseminating pubkeys and sending messages is also very battery intensive.

Hopefully I will be able to improve the situation in the future, but that's in large part dependent upon how the protocol develops.

I like to ask and what is the difference from that version with the bitseal version from andrea lepidio that is in play store

There are currently 3 different ways for people to get the app:

1) Join the beta testing group and download it from the Play store
2) Download the pre-compiled APK file, using the links I post in this thread
3) Compile the app from the source code on Github

As long as you stay up to date, which of those options you choose shouldn't make any difference. The app will be the same.

I hope that helps.

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:46 AM »
Bitseal 0.5.4 is now available.

Changes:
- Added a new feature - 'wifi-only'. This allows the user to force the app to only use wifi connections for data transmission. This should help mitigate the problem of Bitseal using a lot of bandwidth.
- Refactored several parts of the code. See the github commit log for details.

Known Issues:
- Bitseal still uses a lot of bandwidth and battery life! Keep an eye on this while testing.

chek2fire

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear that. It's definitely true that Bitseal uses a lot of battery power at the moment. Unfortunately it's difficult to avoid this, as the app has to constantly download all new messages from the network to check for any that are addressed to it. Proof of work for disseminating pubkeys and sending messages is also very battery intensive.

Hopefully I will be able to improve the situation in the future, but that's in large part dependent upon how the protocol develops.

There are currently 3 different ways for people to get the app:

1) Join the beta testing group and download it from the Play store
2) Download the pre-compiled APK file, using the links I post in this thread
3) Compile the app from the source code on Github

As long as you stay up to date, which of those options you choose shouldn't make any difference. The app will be the same.

I hope that helps.

the strange is that i have use the programme one month now without this battery drain problems. Only yesterday i notice that my phone battery was drain in two hours. I have recharge it and then again my battery was out in two hours. When i search what programme do this i see that was bitseal that drain my battery. Is strange because this problem appear suddenly and without my phone to have access to the internet.

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2015, 08:25:50 AM »
the strange is that i have use the programme one month now without this battery drain problems. Only yesterday i notice that my phone battery was drain in two hours. I have recharge it and then again my battery was out in two hours. When i search what programme do this i see that was bitseal that drain my battery. Is strange because this problem appear suddenly and without my phone to have access to the internet.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

If you're using Bitseal 0.5.3 or later, you could try reading through the log output and recent errors list to see if anything there suggests what the problem might be.

One possibility is that Bitseal is doing proof of work to re-disseminate the pubkey for one of its addresses, and the proof of work is taking a really long time, thereby draining the battery. If this is the case then you could try deleting your current address(s) and generating new ones (although I realise that's far from an ideal solution). The difficulty is that proof of work has a really large random component to it, so even if it normally takes only a couple of minutes, it can sometimes take much more than that, even hours.

Let me know if you make any progress, it would be nice if we could figure out what's going on.

chek2fire

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:11 AM »
ok i will install and the last version to see how is going

Maarten

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
Unfortunately it's difficult to avoid this, as the app has to constantly download all new messages from the network to check for any that are addressed to it.

Forgive me for asking (I don't own a smartphone), but is this really needed? If it only powers up WiFi or 3G once every 48hrs it should still theoretically get all the messages without throwing away 47hrs of battery/connectivity.

I don't know if there is a way to know or guess the current size of messages.dat *without* actually downloading it. (Maybe with the max message size and the amount of available messages???), but you could calculate the disconnected time and have the app shut down WiFi for that time.
Something like this: what was the last average download speed, how long were we connected and how much new messages did we get since last download? Calculate the idle time and shut down till there are statistically enough new messages to download. Then only go online to get the new messages.

Doesn't do much about bandwidth, but battery load would be a lot less.

Also on a different note: I'll try in the next days to direct some thinking power to your streams thread, which seems idle for now. Maybe I can contribute something and start it up again.

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »
Forgive me for asking (I don't own a smartphone), but is this really needed? If it only powers up WiFi or 3G once every 48hrs it should still theoretically get all the messages without throwing away 47hrs of battery/connectivity.

To clarify, it's not the case that Bitseal constantly uses an internet connection. Instead it runs a check for any new messages every 60 seconds. The approach you suggest of only checking for new messages every 48 hours would certainly be possible, but it is problematic because users of email-like messaging apps generally expect that they will be notified as soon as they receive a new message, and we can't do that unless we check for new messages very often. Of course, the 60 second period could be adjusted, but that's what I've chosen for now.

If lite client message retrieval of some kind were added to the protocol, then both the battery life and bandwidth problems could be massively reduced. Until that's done, the user experience for lite clients is always going to be very problematic.

Also on a different note: I'll try in the next days to direct some thinking power to your streams thread, which seems idle for now. Maybe I can contribute something and start it up again.

Thanks! I've been really busy recently, so I haven't had much time available to work on streams / scalability. Any contribution you could make would be great :)

srmojuze

• View Profile
    • BitChirp.org
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2015, 02:35:05 AM »
Nice.

JonathanCoe

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2015, 06:27:52 PM »
Hey everyone. I'd like to give a quick update on Bitseal's development.

First, as some of you will have noticed, there haven't been many updates for the last couple of months. This because I started a new job recently, which has meant that I've had much less time available to work on Bitseal than I had previously. I fully intend to continue working on the project, but development progress will inevitably be slower than before, unless anyone else makes significant coding contributions.

Secondly, several people have reported problems with Bitseal connecting to the default servers and catching up with the network. This seems to be caused by a server-side bug of some kind that intermittently causes the server to stop accepting any API calls. I haven't found the cause of the problem yet, but I'll do my best to make some progress on it in the near future. If anyone can offer any assistance in tracking down the problem then please feel free to get it touch.

Finally, thanks again to everyone who has participated in the testing and development of Bitseal so far. Your contributions are much appreciated :)